Can a live-in relative, not covered under a homeowners policy, take out a claim for car damage from the house?

Answers:3   |   LastUpdateAt:2012-05-24 19:37:44  

Asked at 2012-05-06 14:49:50
I live in my parents' house . My car was parked in his garage. A leak of wastewater ( old house ) arrested and "things" over my car. Took the car paint . If my parents are going to file a complaint, mind you I live in the house? Why deny it ? I'm not in politics , so even though I am connected, I am legally as an outside person .
Anyone have additional tips on this? My parents did not want to pay and do not want a car with diminished value . thanks
Answer1BairAnswered at 2012-05-09 00:27:53
No, but you can file a claim through your auto insurance company for repair.
Answer2KoKaNeE BaBy Answered at 2012-05-22 16:27:20
First, a family member living in your home corresponds to the definition of "who is the insured " in your policy . Look and see. You are not legally a person from outside. The name of the insured , however , you must file the claim.

Second, insurance policies do not cover damage to cars. No way , no how, not ever. If you can put a record label on it, you can not claim under a homeowner's policy . No matter if it does not, and that is planting daisies in the front seat. You can call a work of art and park in your living room , still not content.

The policies pay the insured . So let's pretend that cars are covered - the check that goes to his parents. No matter if you are over 18 years.

So you have to make a claim under its "comprehensive" coverage in its policy, in order to get any coverage for it. Your parents are certainly not responsible , as it was not the cause of the sewage drain to explode .
Answer3DominiAnswered at 2012-05-24 19:37:44
KarenB is right. Your car is not covered by your insurance policy unless their parents are responsible for the sewer backup ( do not think it will be) . The cars are specifically excluded in the homeowners policy.

You, the parents should not have to pay for this. Deliver it to your auto insurance for the damage fixed.
Related Questions
  • Answer This Question:Can a live-in relative, not covered under a homeowners policy, take out a claim for car damage from the house?