When to add insurance a newly purchased used car?

Answers:17   |   LastUpdateAt:2018-11-22 00:56:34  

Asked at 2012-03-28 01:12:36
I'm buying a used truck from a relative of mine for very cheap and I have to drive the vehicle down , about 130 kilometers, to my city on my own. My question is do I have to purchase car insurance before you go there? Or do I have a grace period where you can drive the truck (eg 5 days) without insurance and then once you have the title and other documents in my name, go and get insurance? I'm in California , if that helps.
Answer1VeRgA CaLiEnTe Answered at 2012-04-02 08:17:35
If you already have a car that is insured, you have 30 days to let your agent know about your new car and covered. When processing the transaction , they will roll back to when you bought the vehicle. If you have a car now , you must purchase insurance before driving.
Answer2LilithAnswered at 2012-04-06 01:33:26
Well, if I was buying I would not worry about getting insurance is until you get home , but if you stand in terms of how well the police officer is that it should not matter if you have proof that you just bought the truck. < Br >
Hope that helps
Answer3ClarencAnswered at 2012-04-06 08:01:18
call your insurance company and give them information about the vehicle and the state you are buying . otherwise you're driving an uninsured vehicle and that will be held for all laws broken.

insurance must be there before driving a car.
Answer4CharlesAnswered at 2012-04-13 05:23:48
Immediately after purchase , or the next business day ..... that is when you add the insurance on the car . In CA , most insurance companies are open 24 hours, 7 days a week.
Answer5Answered at 2012-04-18 02:11:35
You must have insurance before driving. There is no grace period. You do not need to obtain title insurance, only the vehicle's VIN and current mileage .
Answer6Those memories, Land of the Dead RoadAnswered at 2012-05-04 15:36:59
If you already have insurance on a car that has the grace period to get home and call your insurance company. If you do not have insurance on everything you need to get insurance and registration before you can drive at all .
From Cal - Just fixed , insured, and Reg driving my truck before - I asked at the DMV
Answer7eweAnswered at 2012-05-11 04:37:58
I do not know with another insurance company, but ours allows 30 on the day of purchase of our policyholders to report a change in the vehicle. During those 30 days, the car with the broadest coverage will cover your new car. And report to security includes the establishment of a claim.
Answer8DonAnswered at 2012-05-19 10:41:18
There is no grace period. Need insurance in place before riding. Get the year make model and VIN to your insurance agent before you pick it up and give your insurance card for you. Take the signed title to you also to show that just purchased the car in case you are stopped for any reason.
Answer9CPAnswered at 2012-09-24 16:05:02
Call your insurance agent before you collect your car , usually can insure the vehicle over the phone . If you drive without insurance and have an accident your screwed. So the first safe and protect yourself and your car .
Related Questions
  • Answer This Question:When to add insurance a newly purchased used car?